Search This Blog

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Shortbread


Thanksgiving a day to watch Macy's Parade and feast, but I must confess we are West Coast and prefer The Rose Bowl Parade.  Two years ago we went and saw the floats up close.  A highly recommended activity.  

Cookies Cookies we want cookies!  Well twist my arm and make me use my new shortbread molds.  I confess I screwed up this recipe but luckily caught my error.  The wording of ingredients seems odd.  The butter is listed in sticks and cups hence this cookie is a delicious heart attack.







Shortbread
from Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook
adapted

3 sticks (1 1/2 cups) unsalted butter at room temperature
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/4t salt
3/4 cup plus 2T confectioners' sugar

~ preheat oven 325
~ butter cookie molds or 12" by 8" rimmed baking sheet and line it with parchment paper leaving 1" over hang
~ whisk flour and salt in a small bowl
~ beat butter until fluffy on medium speed in mixer with paddle attachment 3 to 4 minutes
~ add confectioner's sugar and beat until light and very fluffy about 2 minutes and scrap down bowl as needed
~ add flour salt mixture and beat on low speed scraping down when needed until just incorporated
~ should look like a soft cookie dough
~ using a small offset spatula evenly spread dough evenly on mold ( and press I learned this when my detail was lacking) or baking sheet
~ refrigerate 15 minutes
~  prick dough all over with fork
~ bake 40 to 45 minutes until golden brown
~ transfer to wire rack
~ if using a baking sheet cut cookies while hot leaving in pan while cooling
~ put in air tight container
~ keep at room temperature for up to a week

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...