Search This Blog

Friday, July 8, 2011

Bubble Gum Gelato ~~ Bubble Gum Ice Cream


Summer Serendipity 
When we venture to Baskin Robbins my youngest always orders bubblegum ice cream.  I have to admit in my younger days I did the same.  The perfect double treat that lasts way beyond the creamy ice cream.  Since we are now make our own gelato, sorbet and ice cream the little birds chirped, "bubblegum ice cream...bubblegum ice cream."  Ok, ok but I need to develop a new recipe since the recipe I tried last year was an utter failure and huge mess.  That recipe calls for you to melt the gum into the base.  What a huge mess!  First I needed bubble gum extract which is not something you find in your local grocery store, lucky for them we happened upon Surfas Inc., restaurant supply and gourmet food store, on our trip to Los Angeles. Where I found bubble gum extract.  I dragged my husband around the store for over an hour and he kindly put his business card in the drawing for a vitmix blender, I am eagerly awaiting their call ;-)
cream base and gum
the extract is bright pink, but the color was lost and I did not want to add food coloring
a natural option beet juice

gummmmmmmm yummmmmmmm

Bubble Gum Gelato
base from Ciao Bella Book of Gelato & Sorbetto
recipe from me

2 cups organic whole milk
1 cup organic heavy cream
4 large organic egg yolks
2/3 cup sugar
2 1/2t bubble gum extract
glorious gum I used 5 boxes of Chicklets and 5 double bubble pieces cut into smaller pieces as pictured above

~ in a heavy bottom sauce pan combine milk and cream
~ place over medium-low heat
~ stir occasionally until temperature reaches 170 degrees  and tiny bubbles start to form
~ meanwhile put egg yolks in a round medium size pyrex and whisk until smooth
~ add sugar to yolks and whisk until thick and pale
~ IMPORTANT PART
~ temper your egg yolks by taking about 1/2 cup of hot milk/cream mixture and slowly pour into yolks while whisking yolks...keep it moving or you will end up with scrambled eggs
~ continue adding about 1/2 cup at a time slowly until you have added about 1 1/2 to 2 cups
~ pour egg mixture into remaining milk/cream mixture in pan
~ cook over low heat stirring frequently until mixture reaches 185 degrees (do not boil)
~ pour mixture through a fine mesh strainer back into pyrex
~ add 2 /2 t bubble gum extract
~ cool and place in refrigerator at least 4 hours or overnight
~ place in ice cream maker and freeze according to manufactures directions
~ 2 minutes before end of ice cream cycle add chopped gum

Everyone loved it even my most finicky husband!

 

5 comments:

  1. I haven't had bubble gum ice cream in such a long time! Actually, I remember getting ice cream from the ice cream truck which was basically a plastic cone of sherbet with a gumball at the bottom. This looks like such a fun recipe! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds absolutely amazing, dear! Let me check whether we can get bubblegum extract in Hong Kong or not! The picture of the gelato is droolworthy!!
    http://cosmopolitancurrymania.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Purabi, Amazon carries the extract I used. It is called Lorann-Bubble Gum Oils. Mine is 1 ounce.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool! This sounds unique and fun!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...