Search This Blog

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Jason's Quick Coccodrillo Ciabatta Bread


I found this recipe on The Fresh Loaf.  A fabulous bread baking web site.  I prefer the recipe with semolina; however, this loaf contains only bread flour.  As I peered into my container of semolina flour, I noticed a strange web like formation.  Hmmm, I thought very strange.  I poured it out only to find wormy things, ach!  Disgusting!  I just purchased the semolina from Henry's Markets bulk bins.  Beware of the bulk bins.  Yeech, kind of makes my stomach turn.  I guess I could have used it and given the kids a little extra protein...

I bake all of my breads in my barbecue lined with all of my broken pizza stones for several reasons.  It does not heat up my house.  It reaches high temperatures fast, 500 degrees.  I can create steam without reducing heat.  My dream, wish, desire a wood burning oven and I have a copy of the plans from Sunset Magazine. Someday....


 climbing dough



 Steam hole...most people attach a rotisserie here.  I find it the perfect place to spray water.

Jason's Quick Coccodrillo Ciabatta Bread
from The Fresh Loaf web site
slightly adapted

Variaton 1
500g bread flour
475g (~2 cups) water
2 tsp. yeast
15g salt

Varation 2 (Semolina)
350g bread flour
150g semolina flour
475-485g (~2cups) water
2tsp. yeast
15g salt

  1. In Kitchen Aid style mixer: Mix all ingredients roughly till combined with paddle, let it rest for 10 minutes.
  2. With the paddle (I prefer the hook to prevent the dough from crawling into the guts of the mixer), beat the living hell out of the batter, it will start out like pancake batter but in anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes it will set up and work like a very sticky dough. if it starts climbing too soon, then switch to the hook. You'll know it's done when it separates from the side of the bowl and starts to climb up your hook/paddle and just coming off the bottom of the bowl. I mean this literally about the climbing, i once didn't pay attention and it climbed up my paddle into the greasy inner workings of the mixer. It was not pretty! Anyway, it will definitely pass the windowpane test.
  3. Place into a well oiled container and let it triple! it must triple! For me this takes about 2.5 hours
  4. Empty on to a floured counter (scrape if you must, however you gotta get the gloop out), cut into 3 or 4 peices. Spray with oil and dust with lots of flour. Let them proof for about 45 minutes, which gives you enough time to crank that oven up to 500F. Barbecue takes about 10 minutes to reach 500F.
  5. After 45 minutes or so the loaves should be puffy and wobbly, now it's iron fist, velvet glove time. Pick up and stretch into your final ciabatta shape (~10" oblong rectangle) and flip them upside down (this redistributes the bubbles, so you get even bubbles throughout), and onto a baking sheet with parchment paper dusted with corn meal. Try to do it in one motion and be gentle, it might look like you've ruined them completely, but the oven spring is immense on these things.
  6. Bake at 500F until they are 205F in the center (about 10 minutes)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...