I really do not like eggs, so I decided after days, weeks, months of begging for ice cream to find an egg less recipe. Lo and Behold, a recipe by Mark Bittman via the New York Times caught my eye. The harshest critic in the house gave rave reviews to this recipe and I am so so happy because it is so easy. Although the recipe states you can use lowfat milk and half and half, I stuck with regular milk and cream. By the way, the ice cream stays soft in the freeze akin to soft serve.
I am a gadget freak and one of my newest and favorite is the "Stir Chef". It stirs so I don't have to! Mixed reviews on Amazon but, I love it.
Egg-less Coffee Ice Creamby Mark Bittman
2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup cream
1/2 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
3 tablespoons cornstarch [non gmo I used Rumford]
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
coffee to taste - freshly ground
- Mix milk and cream together
- Pour all but 1/2 cup into saucepan along with sugar and salt over medium-low heat [I used my stirchef for a constant stir]
- Cook until mixture begins to steam
- In a bowl, blend cornstarch and remaining milk mixture - there should be no lumps
- Add cornstarch mixture to pot
- Cook, stirring, until it starts to thicken and barely reaches a boil
- Stir in vanilla extract and freshly ground coffee [I used Trader Joe's French Roast]
- If mixture has lumps, strain it into a bowl
- Cover and chill until cool, a couple of hours
- Remove from refrigerator and blend in blender [lucky me I used my vita-mixer] for optimum smoothness
- Pour into an ice cream machine and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions
Yield: 1 generous pint.