Search This Blog

Friday, May 4, 2012

Mint and Chip Ice Cream eggless


Happy Star Wars Day!
May the Fourth be with you...

"Waa Waa You never make the flavors I want", ring in my ears again!  OK!  since discovering the eggless recipe ice cream is a snap, "What do you want?"  "Mint and Chip like you made for my birthday."  Fine, whipped it up and in walks another one..."Waa Waa, You never make the flavors I want...Cherry Garcia!"

I found the secret to making mint ice cream is Do Not Cook the Mint in the cream base.  Cooking the mint causes an overwhelming mint flavor like toothpaste mint.  Allow the mint to seep like fine tea.



Years ago, I eagerly started my garden planting herbs, no one told me only plant mint in pots or it will take over everything.  Today, we pull mountains of mint every month - peppermint, spearmint,...I promised myself to start making my own tea so what better flavor? 

Mint and Chip Ice Cream 
sans eggs
{note if you prefer a richer ice cream reduce milk and increase cream}

2 cups whole milk 

1/2 cup  cream

1/2 cup sugar

Pinch of salt

3 tablespoons cornstarch [non gmo I used Rumford]

1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups fresh mint
chocolate – chips or broken pieces add to suit your taste a lot or a little


  1. Mix milk and cream together
  2. Pour all but 1/2 cup into saucepan along with sugar and salt over medium-low heat [I used my stirchef for a constant stir]
  3. Cook until mixture begins to steam
  4. In a bowl, blend cornstarch and remaining milk mixture - there should be no lumps
  5.  Add cornstarch mixture to pot
  6. Cook, stirring, until it starts to thicken and barely reaches a boil
  7. Stir in vanilla extract
  8. Remove from heat
  9. Cool mixture slightly
  10. Blend careful since most blenders can not handle hot liquid
  11. or
  12. If mixture has lumps, strain it into a bowl
  13. Add mint
  14. Cover and refrigerate after an hour
  15. Remove mint after 2 hours
  16. Return to refrigerator until cold
  17. Remove from refrigerator and blend in blender [lucky me I used my vita-mixer] for optimum smoothness
  18. Option one melt chocolate // option two leave chocolate as is
  19. Pour into an ice cream machine and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions
  20.  Right before ice cream is done for option one using a fork flick chocolate on to churning ice cream for option two throw chocolate in
  21. Enjoy
Yield: 1 generous pint.

4 comments:

  1. Nice recipe. I love the tip about the mint. Looks delish and refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somehow my mint does not grow, I suppose too much of water and they eventually die of. Probably I should plant them in a pot and see what happens. I like this egg-less version of ice-cream with mint though I may leave out the chips. Chocs does not really fancy my interest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really good. Useful that it doesn't use eggs - no egg whites leftover!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that it is eggless :D
    Means I can serve it to a greater load of people - it looks stunning and delicious :)

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...