Search This Blog

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Egg less Coffee Ice Cream



I really do not like eggs, so I decided after days, weeks, months of begging for ice cream to find an egg less recipe.  Lo and Behold, a recipe by Mark Bittman via the New York Times caught my eye.   The harshest critic in the house gave rave reviews to this recipe and I am so so happy because it is so easy.  Although the recipe states you can use lowfat milk and half and half, I stuck with regular milk and cream.  By the way, the ice cream stays soft in the freeze akin to soft serve.



I am a gadget freak and one of my newest and favorite is the "Stir Chef".  It stirs so I don't have to!  Mixed reviews on Amazon but, I love it.

Egg-less Coffee Ice Cream

by Mark Bittman
adapted

2 cups whole milk 

1/2 cup  cream

1/2 cup sugar

Pinch of salt

3 tablespoons cornstarch [non gmo I used Rumford]

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

coffee to taste - freshly ground

  1. Mix milk and cream together
  2. Pour all but 1/2 cup into saucepan along with sugar and salt over medium-low heat [I used my stirchef for a constant stir]
  3. Cook until mixture begins to steam
  4. In a bowl, blend cornstarch and remaining milk mixture - there should be no lumps
  5.  Add cornstarch mixture to pot
  6. Cook, stirring, until it starts to thicken and barely reaches a boil
  7. Stir in vanilla extract and freshly ground coffee [I used Trader Joe's French Roast]
  8. If mixture has lumps, strain it into a bowl
  9. Cover and chill until cool, a couple of hours
  10. Remove from refrigerator and blend in blender [lucky me I used my vita-mixer] for optimum smoothness
  11. Pour into an ice cream machine and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions
Yield: 1 generous pint.

2 comments:

  1. This looks great! Cant wait to try this..yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. how many does it serve? BTW i love the twilight saga!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...