Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Fettucini Alfredo // Fettucine Alfredo



Many years ago, too many, my single at the time husband ate at Alfredo's in Rome.  For the last, too many years, all I have heard is, "that was the best meal", "I want fettucini like Alfredo's" and on and on.  Finally sick of waiting for me to find the recipe he, oh my gosh!, googled and discovered the "recipe" himself.  I am not sure if in fact this recipe really originates from the infamous restaurant since he retells his epic meal as a table side service.  As well as the parmesan is listed as fresh not reggiano parmigiano as I would imagine and used.  My friend Paulo, from Italy,  insisted the only parmesan is reggiano parmigiano and fed it to her teething babies.

We all enjoyed the meal and the reviews are in as a make again.

Fettucini Alfredo
from "Alfredo's" in Rome, Italy
adapted


noodles
3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
3 eggs
1T sea salt
2T heavy cream
5-6T water

~ fit food processor with steel blades
~ add flour to food processor, then salt and eggs
~ place lid on bin and pulse 4 times
~ slowly add the cream through the feed tube and then add water a tablespoon at a time until a ball forms
~ the dough should have the consistency of bread dough
~ if you over do it on the liquids add flour
~ remove from processor and cut into 4 equal pieces and cover with cloth
~ (now the tricky part. I use an old fashion Italian pasta machine) take one piece of dough at a time  and run it through at setting number 1 and fold in half
~ run through at setting number 1 five more times, folding in half after each run through
~ run through settings 2
~ running through setting 3
~ run through setting 4
~ run through setting 5 (this is the end for me because it gets to thin for me to handle at 6 or 7, ay call me American)
~ attach fettucini attachment
~ flour the large piece of dough
~ run through fettucini attachment make sure you use flour to prevent sticking
~ cover the cut noodles and repeat with 3 other pieces

sauce 
 1/4 lb butter
1 1/4 cup reggiano parmigiano, grated
1 cup heavy cream
freshly ground pepper

~ place noodles into about 5 quarts boiling water with 1 tsp salt and cook only 1 minute and drain
 ~ melt butter in a saute pan over medium flame
~  place noodles (noodles should be dry and not dripping with water) into butter and toss to coat
~ add cream and bring almost to a boil
~ mix noodles to coat
~ add in parmesan cheese and toss
~ plate and add freshly ground pepper and reggiano parmigiano

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you went to the trouble of making your own pasta. Awesome! I use Dreamfields since I'm a low-carber. Sometime I will need to figure out a nice gluten-free and low-carb pasta substitute.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...