Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

blind ambition part one: hand dipped drumsticks



Another birthday party and of course we must break the cupcake trend and tickle the young pallets with a cool treat.  I plowed through my cookbooks and came up empty handed and resorted to the internet.  I found my pot of gold on  Baking Bites blog.


I still remember my first cone in Europe, so different then the American version.  The chocolate inner coating and plug delighted me.  How ingenious!


So I come up with these wacky ideas and truly think I can throw them together quickly and they will be easier then the tradition cake.  After all don't they do just that on all of the cooking shows?  However, what we do not see are all the people behind the scenes prepping. Ummm, something to do over the summer make my kids sous chefs and dish washers.  I will buy them fancy aprons and dish washing gloves.

Fun, yum, fantastic...I would like to make the outer shell thinner and had some difficulty getting the chocolate to stick after the first dozen (add more butter to the chocolate).  I made three dozen.  The biggest feat was making room in my freezer (junky french door refrig.).

Hand Dipped Drumsticks
from Baking Bites
adapted

1/2 gallon ice cream (any flavor), slightly softened
8 sugar cones
1 1/4 cups semisweet/dark chocolate chips (trader joes are great!)
5+ tbsp unsalted butter
1/4 cup finely chopped roasted/salted peanuts, almonds, nerds, sprinkles........any thing your heart desires

~ melt about 1/4 cup of chips in microwave working in 30 second increments
~ using a mini tiny whisk plop a chunk in the bottom of the cone and swirl chocolate around inner cone (see most fabulous picture)
~ use a butter knife to fill each of the cones with ice cream, then top off with a rounded scoop of ice cream ~ ~ place each ice cream cone in the freezer as you finish, either placing them inside the narrow glasses (or other stand) to hold them upright or laying them on the parchment-lined baking sheet
~ freeze for at least 3 hours.
~ melt the remaining chocolate chips with 3 tbsp of butter in the microwave, working in 30 second increments
~ choose a small bowl because it makes dipping easier
~ stir in remaining butter
~ chocolate should be smooth and relatively thin
~ working with one ice cream cone at a time, dip the frozen ice cream scoops in chocolate, rotate to coat quickly dip chocolate into topping
~ return to freezer
~ chill at least 1-2 hours before serving
~ store in airtight bags.


 everyone loved them 
Happy Birthday B

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...