Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Cobb Salad


I hate eggs.  So, unless it is cooked invisible e.g., mixed in cake, keep it away from me! Pad Thai, Cobb Salad egg-less or else I may puke.  Presented and enjoyed, egg-less Brown Derby Cobb Salad.

The recipe calls are iceberg lettuce, watercress, Romaine and curly endive; however, my lettuce overflows in my garden, pictured above.  I used butter lettuce, red leaf and curly something that reseeded from last year.


mmmmm fancy radishes not an usual Cobb Salad item but I like to throw my garden booty any chance I get.  My tomatoes are not producing yet, although I saw the first flower today...soon.  I have about 15 plants growing and my everlasting yellow tomato plant I purchased 3 years ago from Walmart.  It has survived blazing hot days as well as freezing nights.  
The recipe calls for peeling and seeding the tomatoes.  Lazy me says not way!  Plus I like small sweet tomatoes and could not imaging the endless peeling.


Faken bacon yummy but am bothered by the GMO soy so everything in moderation and it is virtually grease free.

Brown Derby Cobb Salad
from Rose Dosti
Dear SOS Thirty Years of Recipe Requests to the 
Los Angeles Times
adapted

lettuce ( 1/2 head iceburg, 1/2 bunch watercress, 1 small bunch of curly endive and head of romaine)
3T minced chives
1 basket of organic cherry tomatoes
6 strips of faken bacon
1 avocado peeled and diced
1/2 cup of crumbled Roquefort cheese
 "special french dressing"

~ chop lettuce and mix
~ arrange or just mix it all up (because it all goes the same place) chives, tomatoes, bacon, avocado and cheese in rows over lettuce
~ pour dressing over the salad

Special French Dressing
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4t sugar
1 1/2t lemon juice
1/2t salt
1/2t pepper
1/2t Worcestershire sauce
3/4t dry mustard
1/2 minced garlic clove
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup safflower oil

~ combine all ingredients
~ chill
~ shake well before using

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...