Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Chan Dara Chicken Curry


L.A. Times Thursday Food Section:  In the day, I would cut and save all of the restaurant requested recipes.  So imagine my delight when I found the book Thirty Years of Restaurant Requests to the Los Angeles Times.  This weekend I sat and covered the pages with to make post-its.  First up, chicken curry since we always order it when at Thai restaurants and the recipe contains eight ingredients and four lines of instruction. 

Now you would think easy as can be and it is yet I managed to forget to add the curry powder at the beginning of the recipe, so I threw it in at the end along with more curry paste.  I added the extra curry paste because the color was not perfect.  I am a visual cook and I rarely taste as I cook.  It works for me. 

Thumbs up all around.  Dinner very good and lunch the next day was more than amazing.  I used a mandolin to cut the potatoes and by lunch the next day they became one with the sauce, yum!

Chan Dara Chicken Curry
from Rose Dosti
Dear SOS Thirty Years of Recipe Requests to the 
Los Angeles Times
adapted

1/4 cup safflower oil
1/4 cup yellow curry paste (recipe calls for red but it tends to have peanut, so not for us)
1 pound boneless chicken breast cut with poultry scissors
1 1/2 pound boneless chicken thighs with poultry scissors
4 1/2T fish sauce
6 or more organic potatoes sliced with a mandolin
4 or more organic carrots sliced with a mandolin
2 cans of coconut milk light or full fat
3t yellow curry paste
3t curry powder

~ whisk oil and curry paste together
~ put in large skillet  high heat 1 minute
~ add chicken, fish sauce,  potatoes and carrots
~ stir fry until chicken is golden brown
~ add coconut milk and bring to a boil
~ reduce heat add remaining curry paste and powder
~ cover and simmer 30 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...