Search This Blog

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Spritz Cookies


I was feeling rather delusional the other day when I spotted this recipe for spritz cookies.  Oh yeah, I thought, a breeze with my salton electric cookie press that has been sitting in my cupboard unused since I purchased it 4 or more years ago.  I misplaced the instruction book, no problem.  How difficult could it be?

love my egg separator makes being lazy easy

What got me to this place was a cookbook I just picked up at our library's used book sale,  The Old Fashioned Cookbook by Jan McBride Carlton.  I popped it open and noted comments made by the previous owner.  Each one was more negative then the last.  Did I buy a dud?  Quickly I googled the book and to my delight ever other owner loved the book and was disappointed that it had never been reprinted. (ha, someone is selling it on amazon for $100, mine 99 cents!)  While reading the reviews one noted their love of the sour cream cookies and I decide to give it a go, that was until I saw the spritz cookie and thought I could best the LA bakeries on Fairfax.  My kids love those cookies with the sprinkles and dollops of chocolate.

light and fluffy

The cookies were great not quite the same as the bakeries and the cookie press only took me 2 hours to some what master.  The first disk I used gave me a doo-doo looking cookie.  Finally, I realized I need to take one part out and press 3 seconds for the first cookie and 2 seconds for those that followed.  I still have some funky bits on each cookie, but hey it all tastes the same.

ha ha see all of the funky bits!


Spritz Cookies
from Jan McBride Carlton
The Old Fashioned Cookbook
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2t baking powder
1/2t salt
1 cup unsalted butter softened 
2/3 cup sugar
2 egg yolks (save egg whites for wash)
2t vanilla
sprinkles
~ preheat oven 375 and line cookie sheets with parchment paper
~ sift or whisk together first 3 ingredients
~ cream the butter
~ add the sugar gradually and continue creaming until light and fluffy
~ beat in egg yolks and vanilla
~ add dry ingredients low setting until fully incorporated
~ put in cookie press and press away 
~  brush cookies with egg whites and sprinkle with sprinkles (I missed this hence the lack of sprinkle hold on mine)
~ bake 7 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...